UP-DATED: Litigation Defense Staff Counsel
Mount Laurel, NJ | Permanent
PERMANENT/FULL-TIME: Our client seeks a staff litigation defense counsel, and the position is described as:
Provides legal representation to a carrier and its insureds as a member of the Mount Laurel Staff Counsel Office, primarily involving the defense of insurance liability claims pending in the courts of southeastern Pennsylvania. Also, may include the defense of insurance liability claims pending in the courts of southern New Jersey. Provides advice to the Claims Department of the Company. All job duties and responsibilities must be carried out in compliance with applicable legal and regulatory requirements.
- Handles all aspects of a litigated cases from the receipt of the complaint to the resolution of the case through trial, settlement or appeal.
- Dictates/prepares pleadings, motions, briefs, letters, memoranda, reports, articles, etc. using the Company’s legal case management software, dictation and voice recognition equipment.
- Engages in various forms of paper discovery practice and conducts depositions and other pre-trial examinations.
- Communicates with and regularly updates the client and claims personnel regarding the status of pending matters. Communicates with opposing counsel, the courts and others as needed.
- Researches issues using Westlaw, Lexis and other computer/web based data sources, as well as using legal treatises, law reporters and other library materials.
- Provides support services to claims, underwriting and other adjunct departments in the form of legal opinions, recommendations and digests of recent developments in decisional and statutory law.
- Controls and directs clerical activity, in accordance with office protocol, necessary to support function of position.
- Reports to managing attorney concerning status of matters and provides other information as requested.
- Tries cases to conclusion before judges, juries and other triers of fact.
- Travels to depositions, court appearances, claims and client meetings, and other events as necessary. Car travel represents approximately 20% of employee’s time.
- Engages in other activity as directed by the managing attorney.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Outlook, Explorer or similar required. Typing skill required. Legal case management software experience preferred.
- Excellent customer service, writing and oral communication skills required.
- Must have detailed knowledge of the business unit and industry.
- Must have valid state-issued driver’s license in good standing.
- Juris Doctor degree from ABA accredited law school required.
- Member in good standing of the Bars of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania AND the State of New Jersey.
- Requires at least 5 years experience practicing in the courts of PENNSYLVANIA. (Experience practicing in the courts of NJ WOULD BE A "PLUS.")
If you truly believe that you are a good fit for this opening, please send your resume and introductory letter, including your desired annual salary, ASAP, to: email@example.com for immediate review and possible contact.
PA and NJ licenses, active and in good-standing with NO disciplinary history in ANY jurisdiction.
MUST BE WELL-VERSED IN HANDLING PA CASES...AND RECENTLY TOO...NOT YEARS AGO...
SEE posting for other requirements!